Luxury travel can be sexy and inviting but top hotels and upgraded flights can also be expensive – that is unless you’re aware of a few ways to source luxury for less.
Years ago we read bestselling book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki. He believes that instead of teaching you how to find and keep a good job, parents should teach their kids to invest money and make it work for them.
In the spirit of Kiyosaki’s theories we don’t want you to have to save and save for years for a luxury trip. Instead we want to teach you how to save money and travel in luxury for less on every trip.
Our seven luxury for less travel tips
- Allow yourself plenty of time when planning a luxury trip. The more time you have, the more likely you’ll be to find a great deal.
- Employ tenacity when researching your luxury travels – it may seem a lot of work at first, but knowing a few tricks of the trade and where to look will reduce some of your efforts. Added to that when you find a great hotel at a great price your tenacity will have paid off.
- When booking flights and accommodation search lots and lots of websites – there are countless sites with great deals these are just some of the travel sites we use.
- Be flexible: being as flexible as possible on date, destination and type of accommodation will net you some great travel deals.
- Consider flash sales websites like Groupon, LivingSocial Escapes, Jetsetter and Voyage Prive to help you find your next luxury travel deal – they can offer up great savings and some cool options you wouldn’t have found otherwise. Here’s a list of our favourite flash sales sites.
- Join hotel and airline loyalty programmes – collect loyalty points/miles and make them work for you – not only can you get free stays/flights but also upgrades, late check outs, lounge access and discounts. Here’s some of the best travel loyalty programmes.
- Always ask for a discount when booking hotels and villas etc. direct. If you don’t ask, they won’t offer.
These are some of the luxury for less basics, every traveller should know. We’ve plenty more tips on planning your luxury travels, DIY-packaging your trip, making the most of flash sales and loyalty programmes in our book, The Luxury Traveller’s Handbook: liberating luxury for smart travellers. Also available: The Luxury Traveler’s Handbook (US Edition).
Want more luxury for less tips, ideas, features and deals? Sign up now to receive our newsletter. Discover How to Travel with our guides to travelling in style and getting to destinations around the world.